Sunday 3 June 2007

Bionicle pig, the movie!

My boy friend Terry has got me very excited about stop motion.

For those of you who don't know, stop motion is a technique that involves taking stills after stills of a creature, moving it ever so slightly in between each still, and then playing all those stills one after another to give the illusion of movement.

Before meeting Terry, all I knew about stop motion was old Ray Harryausen movies such as Clash of the titans, which had their charm but looked a bit naff. Before CGI, this was the only ay to create any sort of monster! I found this very good compilation of his best moments:



A few more recent examples were the Wallace & Gromit movies and The nightmare before Christmas, and the painfully perfect technique, where it looks like it took a few weeks just to get an arm to move.

However there has been a surged of interest in this technique, due to the modern viewers getting tired of CGI and the relative ease to create your own stop motion short, indeed, there has loads of them in Youtube, my favourite being this beauty, an amateur masterpiece if you ask me

:

Terry, ever so creative, has spent a lot of time creating pasliticine figurines and experimenting with this technique recently. I think he's got a lot of talent. Here are his first attempts, they are very rough around the edge as he needs to get a tripod and polish them but I find them very promising, I am going to help him make some proper ones. Beware reader, the second one is very gory!



No comments: