Sunday 17 June 2007

So I turned 32 last week...




So I turned 32...

It really frightens me how time seems to go quicker and quicker as you grow older, years seemed to last forever when I was 20.

Not that I think I haven't done much because looking back, all the things I did, finding the courage to come to London and stick to it when things were getting tough, all my travelling, all the people I have met, all the experiences...

But one thing I am really struggling with at the moment is the lack of time, when I think about how long I spend at work and then in the transports. I might not have much responsabilities in terms of families and stuff but I still feel I lack free time, compared to my cherished years at university (especially in London when I had 9 hours of class!).

There is still so much I want to do, so many books to read, films to see, I want to learn new languages (Japanese and Spanish would be so cool), I still want to carry on travelling (I'd love to do a proper big trip somewhere and take a break).

Maybe I'm just spoilt and should consider myself lucky to have a job with a decent salary, but I can't understand how so many people just satisfy themselves of a life spent working, drinking at the pub and not much else apart from reality tv (nothing wrong with it, I am no snob, but there is more to life than this) or maybe I should just completely rethink my life.

I love the way France is the only country left in the world putting some much focus on culture, one of my fellow expats was moaning how unemployed people in France get to go to the cinema for cheaper, so what? There is more to life than money and working, you just need to look at how 10 years of prosperity in Britain have led to so much greed, competition, inequalities, and have damaged society.

A few of my friends took the plunge and did some Round the world trips for 6 months, and then what? Back to your old routine?

As I remembered my birthdays in the past, 2 of them really stick out, my 21st birthday while still at uni in France, which was a themed party (The love boat), I had asked everybody to dress up like 70's tv series characters and they all played along...

And then my 30th birthday in 2005, which I had to postpone to 9th July since I was away before that, and which unfortunately fell 2 days after the London bombings, which meant half of the tube network was still not working. Yet everybody manage to make it somehow, people from various backgrounds mixed up so well and the was one of the best nights ever...

No comments: